Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:48:40 -0400

From: Frank Mellott <fmellott_@_pa.net>

Subject: (erielack) RFD defined and EL RMS ?

RFD

*R*ural *F*ree *D*elivery

Service began in the 1890's to early 1900's IIRC.

Before this service began rural areas had thousands of post offices.

For example, the place my grandmother and her sisters were born, and

another place one lived later, had gristmills. In the office was  a set

of pigeonholes.  A few times a week the RFD mail buggy would stop and

drop off mail that farmers would collect when they came to the mill.

Later these routes expanded to home delivery and gave rise to the following:

RD  Rural Delivery- delivery by a USPS employee in a service owned or

the employees own vehicle at a mileage rate plus hourly pay.

HCR  Highway Contract Route- Contractor would bid on the route and

provide vehicle.

Star Route- original name, possibly still from horse and buggy days for

a contract route.  Used concurrently into the mid 1990's.

Hope this helps...

To get this back on topic.  Did Railway Mail Service employees sort to

only town level or the whole way down to route level and let the carrier

put it in route order?

When did RMS cars come off the Erie/DL&W lines in western NY and Ohio?

Frank