Re: (erielack) RE: Neat photo

In a message dated 10/28/2012 5:21:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lheintz2_@_rochester.rr.com writes:

http://railpictures.net/photo/413078

The photo shows the Erie trestle that is near the I-380 bridges on the
Wyoming Division in Dunmore heading in the direction of North Pocono (Elmhurst,
etc.). The Winton Branch began nearby and extended from Dunmore through
Throop, Olyphant and terminated at Jessup. In Olyphant there was a branch known
as the Pancoast Branch that left the Winton to service the Pancoast Mine in
Throop. That branch was abandoned in the 1930s. Service on the Winton ended
in 1953. The last remaining customer on the Winton (the Pompey Coal Co.) was
then serviced by the DL&W via trackage rights over the NYO&W. Hope this
helps you.

To learn more about the Winton Branch, I suggest that you pick up a copy of
Frank P. Adams' book, "Rails From Dunmore to Jessup: The Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western's Winton Branch."