(erielack) ES99/SE98

There are two comments I had regarding this thread:

One, the Jersey Central was under a lot of pressure from New
Jersey's Governor Cahill (1970-1974) to abandon track in
exchange for additional subsidy money which CNJ desperately
needed. Cahill especially wanted the out-of-state (Pennsylvania)
track abandoned. The Cahill Administration even sponsored an
engineering study that would've put CNJ on the Lehigh Valley all
the way to Bound Brook where the two roads are in close proximity.
A stub would've remained to Raritan for commuters.

Another plan was to route CNJ road freights all the way to the
LV's Oak Island yard. Lehigh Valley was adamantly opposed
to this on the grounds the yard could not handle the CNJ traffic.

The other thing is, in this time period the EL track wasn't in great
shape either. I have read comments on another list from CNJ
people (employees not fans) that their crews were complaining of
a bad spot on EL, somewhere west of Stroudsburg I believe. To
this day they are upset that EL officials ignored their complaints.
It was the scene of a very bad derailment due to the track condition
they had been trying to warn of.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but this incident may be mentioned
in Mike Wikman's new book. I'm pretty sure he was involved in this.

tommy meehan