Re: (erielack) Last Erie Passenger Train Derailment?

Thank you for sharing that. I grew up in PJ and I remember that being in the
local newspaper. Couldn't remember the exact date or train. I was about 12
years old at the time.  The Times Herald Record of Middletown had extensive
coverage including an aerial photos. It brings back a lot of memories. My
father who worked for the EL police department was in one of the pictures
guarding the mail car. It was assignments like this and ceremonial functions
during which he would wear his uniform which was rare. That derailment
occurred , if I remember correctly, at "Rundle's Curve" just east of Black
Rock cut. That location became infamous in EL history with that derailment
followed by the 99 wreck at that location a couple years later and then the
side swipe of two trains after the 99 derailment which resulted in something
on the order of 100 cars derailing. It was after that the speed limit on
that curve was reduced to 30ty.

The 99 wreck resulted in four units and about 75 out of 90ty cars going on
the ground. My father was on duty that night and heard the crew frantically
calling "Yard B" that they were going on the ground then silence. My father
who was in the EL patrol car and entered the service road on the
right-of-way at what referred to as Tri-States in PJ  and began driving east
bound. As he passed through Black Rock cut he could see the fire and smoke
from the derailed engines. Once he reached the wreck scene, he was able to
locate the crew and assist them into in patrol car. He headed back to Port
Jervis to the same St Francis Hospital as mentioned below. He was not able
to raise Yard B on the radio until he cleared Black Rock cut at which time
he told them to dispatch the PJ fire department. The next day he took me up
there with him and the level of destruction was  unbelievable  to a teenager
who was about 14-15 at that time. I still have the newspaper photographs
from that derailment even though they are showing their age at this point.

The official finding of the cause of the derailment was found to be
excessive speed. There was a lot of debate among railroaders for a long time
as to whether it was track structure failure or excessive speed. It was
foggy that night and the engineer might of lost track (no pun intended) of
exactly where he was. I was told, at that time, when a train started through
Otisville tunnel a bell would ring in the dispatchers office (on the bell)
and based on that I heard estimates of average speed on the order of as high
as seventy miles an hour between the tunnel and the location of the
derailment. When I worked for the EL in the late sixties and discussion of
that incident would come up there would people who would say that there was
no way that engineer involved would end up dumping that train on the ground.
It had to be track structure failure.