Re: Subject: (erielack) Erie LTD consist

I would say a "safe" Erie Limitied consist during the 1950's would be 2 E8's (or occasionally an E8- Alco PA paring) Head end cars including the streamlined mail-dorm cars and 200 series lightweight baggage cars, 2-3 1000 series rebuilt heavyweight coaches, a modernized diner from #939-947 series, various sleepers of both lightweight and heavy weight types, a thru line Stillwell frequently brought up the rear. I have seen examples of UP or other off line sleepers on the tail end as well.

Rob Piecuch

________________________________
From: Janet & Randy Brown <jananran_@_mymailstation.com>
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:51 PM
Subject: Re:Subject: (erielack) Erie LTD consist

Andy --

Where you are looking determines what you see.  In the '50s, the Erie Limited left Jersey City (or Hoboken) with one 10/6 "president" sleeper for Chicago.  In Salamanca, it picked up a 6/4 6 "American" series; in Youngstown, a 10-5 "Spirit"; and in Akron another "president" 10/6 -- all for Chicago where it arrived with four sleepers.

Eastbound, it carried only the Salamanca and Jersey City cars.

Randy Brown

Hi Andy - I'd suggest referring to The Diamond, vol. 16.2 for Erie sleeper  assignments.  According to the 1957 Official Guide, the diner-lounge ran the  entire route.  These would typically be in the 939 series.

Coaches (photos seem to indicate two or three, at least at the Chicago end,  sometimes with car for local riders on the end of the train) would often be  the rebuilt heavyweights in the 1000 series, or the heavyweight 1100s.  Thru-line Stillwells might also appear and I've seen a photo with a  semi-suburban Stillwell as the local car arriving Chicago.

I imagine head end cars were variable dedending on time of year, day of week  and location.

Pat Foley