Re: (erielack) Re: Delaware Water Gap hotels

Up until WWI the Delaware Water Gap area was a very popular
tourist/vacation destination.  It wasn't until a little later that the bulk
of vacationers moved a little west to the hotels around Cresco, Mt. Pocono
and Pocono Summit.  In addition to the DL&W trains there were PRR trains
that stopped at DWG before terminating at East Stroudsburg.  At East
Stroudsburg the tiny Delaware Valley RR continued on to Marshalls Creek and
Bushkill Falls.  Some of the PRR Pullmans actually went up the DV as well.
At the turn of the 20th century it was not unusual for 1000 or more people
to get off the DL&W at DWG.  The NYS&W also promoted vacation travel to the
Water Gap with a station at Dunnfield serving the hotels and boarding
houses on the Jersey side as well as their "Water Gap" station located not
too far from today's Shawnee on the Delaware.

The last train to stop at DWG was the PRR's Sunday only Trenton to East
Stroudsburg doodlebug.  It was a flag stop that came off in 1953 just
before the current I-80 bridge was built (at the time it was considered
"New" Route 46).  The station was sold to the town of Delaware Water Gap
fairly early on thus saving it from demolition.

In the last few years a group in town has been raising money to save and
restore it.  They have begun to put a new roof on the building thus
preventing further decay.  Last year ELDCPS had some of our Santa trains
pick up passengers there which was the first time since 1953 that a
passenger bought a ticket and got on at DWG!  We have two trains picking up
passengers there on October 13th at 10:30 and 12:30 if any of you would
like to come see the station and get on a train there.  A portion of our
tickets sales from that station go towards its restoration.

Tim