Re: (erielack) Erie in Jersey City

On 7/12/2011 11:38 AM, Jim Guthrie wrote:
> Randy writes:
>
>> Having seldom wandered of the "reservation"  (it was Jersey City.
>> One didn't go there; one>went THROUGH there) I have no idea where
>> Pavonia was/is.  I know there is a Pavonia Avenue.
>
> It was Pavonia 0and the Pavonia ferry) before the Erie laid an inch
> of track there. It reverted<g>.
>>
>> The Erie terminal was on the waterfront, while the Tubes were well
>> inland to the west.  At Hoboken, they make a turn to the east to a
>> stub end terminal beneath the Lackawanna platforms, with access to
>> the train concourse at the north end only, as I recall.  Now it
>> may be different.

PATH ran under Henderson Ave, now Luis Munoz Marin Blvd.  The Pavonia
station was between Washington Street and Newport Streets.

> The H&M plans called for a branch to the Erie station (not a
> Terminal -- it was at Milepost 1.0, after all (g>). just north of
> "Erie" at the junction of the Hoboken Route and the 33rd Street
> route (originally to go to Grand Central, with a second branch to the
> East Side, headers for which still house parts of the original
> boring machine) the switch is in a rather large space -- that's
> because this was to be a double crossover, with the "normal" 33rd
> Street route heading toward the Erie Station (it would have turned
> East jsut south of the double crossover).

One of the Hoboken -33rd junctions contained a switch tower and signal
control rooms.  i cannot remember which one, the upper or lower.

There were moving walkways like the ones used later at airports between
the PATH station and the Erie station.

I worked as a project manager in Rail Planning in the late 1980s.  At
Washington Street was the old Power Plant which I was able to wander
through; also an emergency stairway the rehabilitation of which was the
  first project I oversaw.

The upgrading of the signal  rooms was one of the last projects I worked
on; I visited Caisson 3 several times.

bob gillis