(erielack) Re: modeling Akron-Marion

Hello,

Deciding on how much you want to model, and how much selective compression you
use, will determine how many miles of line you want to model. The division is so
busy, there are several places where even a short section of mainline could
include several interesting diverse customers. I based a layout just on the
Akron Belt Line, which ran off of Akron Yard, and was unable to do it justice
(Erie/EL was the only railroad serving the BF Goodrich complex).

Here is another valuable
resource, http://www.railsandtrails.com/TC/EL/index.htm along with the TCS
charts, in getting a vision of the EL. It includes grades and track layouts. I
used it extensively when I did my Train Dispatcher EL Kent Division territory.
And someday soon my RailWorks route.

One segment that I am considering modelling is the Barberton area. You have a
large reservoir the railroad ran right over the middle, see page 107 of "Erie
Railroad in Color" by David Sweetland. It would make an interesting transition
from table to table, or scene to scene. You have a small (perfect for modelling)
tire manufacturer in Barberton (Seiberling Tire), a yard where the Erie/EL set
off cars for a major chemical company (PPG) in a yard that is across the street
from the plant (could use a backdrop for the plant?), and interchange with a
shortline (Akron & Barberton Belt). I like interchanges, you can use cars that
don't fit any of your customers at them. The station in Barberton (still there,
you or I could get pics and measurements) would make a cool kitbash project.
West of the reservoir is Wadsworth, with it's large Ohio Match and Ohio Injector
that are a switchback and steep grade from the main, foundry, chemical
transload, coal dealer, door builder with it's own small lumberyard. Brickyard.

There are a lot of other interesting segments you can model, with just about any
industry, from small towns with grain elevators to a major GM plant to heavy
equipment builders to a salt mine. Plastics. Chemicals. Appliances. Urban
railroading. In Akron you have the parallel B&O Main/PRR Secondary. At other
points there are crossings with other railroads mainlines.

Fortunately (for a modeller, unfortunately for a railfan) a lot of the division
can be seen first hand on bike/hike trails. Same with the Mahoning Division.Not
to mention two passenger stations you can eat at. hee hee

It's a fascinating stretch of railroad.
Mike Spinelli

From: Bradley Butcher <llyengalyn_@_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: (erielack) Re: modeling Akron-Marion

Thank you Steve. I have alot of info on Akron itself from previous research I
have conducted. I couldn't remember the name of the division the other day when
I was writing the email <embarrassed>(Kent). I don't know how long a stretch of
EL I'm going to model, that is part of what my research will reveal.