(erielack) ELDCPS Acquires DL&W Diner 469

Listers,

There has been a lot of speculation over the last year as to the sale of
former-DL&W Phoebe Snow Diner 469. For most of that time, we’ve remained
tight-lipped as we investigated the car, the condition it was in, and what
options we had to possibly acquire the car. Thankfully, we can now make the
announcement we’ve been holding under our hats for several months: ELDCPS is
the very proud owners of DL&W Diner 469!

This is an exciting development for the Society.  This diner is the most
original and most complete of all three of our dining cars - the kitchen and
dining area were last in use in March of 2009.  Our inspection of this car
shows that is in excellent mechanical condition with only a small punchlist
of items that will need to be corrected in order to move the car directly to
Scranton.  The biggest issue is that one wheel set has a gouge out of its
axle and must be replaced.  We have purchased a replacement wheelset and the
required bearing box.  This will need to be shipped to Memphis for
installation, along with a small assortment of other replacement parts.

We are grateful to our anonymous donor who covered the purchase price of
this car along with the seed money for these repairs.  Our top priority is
to raise enough funds to get the car back to Scranton, and once there the
cosmetic work - painting the exterior back to its Lackawanna colors, proper
chairs and tables, stocking the car, etc.  We have started a new donation
program called the DL&W 469 Club to support getting this car up and running
as quickly as possible.  We would appreciate your consideration as part of
your year-end giving plans.  More details can be found on our website at
www.eldcps.org/pages/donation_adopt.html#dlw469

We are also waiting for our newly acquired "Comet I" commuter coaches to be
moved to Scranton.  Our thanks to NJ Transit and Norfolk Southern for
donation of the cars, and transportation to the Delaware-Lackawanna
Railroad.  While these are not long distance coaches, they do represent the
last cars purchased specifically for use on the EL, and will allow us to
operate trips and carry enough passengers to generate needed revenue.

For all the latest information, please visit our website at www.eldcps.org

From all of us at ELDCPS, have a happy holiday season, and a happy new year!

Michael Steinberg
Vice President, Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society
www.eldcps.org