Re: (erielack) Painting oddities... the covered hoppers

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-12-20-10

ch_21889_rdukarm_1978.jpg (image/jpeg, 3572x1229 352036 bytes, BF: 12.47 ppb)

> 21893 was the only known 21800-series Greenville 3-bay covered hopper to
> receive red paint (which, if memory serves, was supposed to designate soda
> ash service?). And of course, this oddity-of-a-car lasted WELL into
> Conrail
> years wearing its EL paint (I have a shot taken in 1984). It's for this
> reason I lobbied (happily, with success) Athearn to release it as part of
> its latest batch of EL 2893's.
> - Paul

Paul,

Please see EL 21889. I shot this in 1978. The lettering is white. Not sure
what the body is - red or black. I think I shot it in Buffalo, if not then
Syracuse. I should have marked it. Also, its rare to find these in EL
paint - seems most are Erie.

Ron Dukarm