Re: (erielack) Painting oddities and....................

CPC ( Corn Products ) use to get a lot of these cars.  The  four cars you
photographed here on the main are in position to be dropped  down over the X
overs, grabbed and taken east  a quarter mile east to  CPC.  They had five
doors to spot box cars, each which had to be  spotted with less than a 6 inch
variable.
As the conductor spotted the car the brakeman tied on the hand brake,  but
not until it was completely spotted  so the conductor could get  the pin
with out having to bump the car back, thus altering the 6 inch  variable.   Two
 60 foot cars  with long draw heads always  created a problem.  If you put
one at the bump, you might luck out.   You didn't want to play with the
extra draw head at the first location because  of the curve going in made it
difficult to then couple up. Every  customer had its little idio sincerities
that could play havoc with an  inexperienced conductor, or and experienced
conductor that had to follow up the  next day the work of an inexperienced man.
 I worked both the  Conductor and Brakemans position on the Northern many
times.

When I started Don Cypers had been the Conductor on the first Northern  for
18 years.  He was called GOD cause of the way he stated  things and the way
he ran the job. You worked 12 heavy hours stopping  at the end of the day
on the Northern  along side KW with about  10 minutes to spare 6 days a week.
  A yard crew would  always yard the train. He would tell you in the
morning, " We eat when  we get to Closter ".  If he liked you and you were on the
ball, at the end  of the day he would say GOOD JOB, and you felt like you
had just been  personally blessed by the Pope. Having been the receiver of his
blessings,  I feel fortunate to have worked with such an old  but
professional  railroader.

Walt Smith you can have the floor back. LOL

Bob Bahrs

In a message dated 12/17/2010 3:24:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,