RE: (erielack) ALCO plant farewell

I'm no expert, but it could also be interesting to understand how this industry survives at all. I don't have anything against the locomotive building industry. But it just occurs to me that loco's are built (I believe) to last a long time. And at $2.5 million a pop they had better last or i would be ticked off as a customer heh. But with all the 2nd had locomotives out there and no new railroads being built it has to limit the demand for new locomotives on a year by year basis. I would think it would be difficult every year to try and convince operating departments that they need new motivepower. "Well yeah you have enough power for your needs now. But if you spend all this money on new locomotives you can save money by retireing older less effecient locomotives...."

Brad B