Re: (erielack) Different Box Car Lettering

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-12-14-10

EL_box_55178.jpg (image/jpeg, 710x478 78692 bytes, BF: 4.31 ppb)

>> Here is a slide of EL 55178 with non-standard lettering.
>> Even on the logo, the cut of the diamond is thinner.  It says
>> MDV 4-74 on there, but I'm wondering if that's where the car
>> was actually painted. Is this a one-of-a-kind lettering scheme?
>> Mike Oravec

Mike and List,

I think that Meadville used the Erie Lackawanna lettering pattern that they
were using on the repainting of the cabooses into the new G-M-Y scheme
started in 1974. See attached photo where I superimposed one on the other.
As for the diamond, I haven't looked into that. This is a real nice find -
just shows the creatativeness of the shop forces.

Ron Dukarm