Re: (erielack) DL&W archives -- was Alco Farewell / Economy Changes

 Good Job, guys! Lance

- -----Original Message-----
From: mdelvec952_@_aol.com
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Tue, Dec 14, 2010 10:05 am
Subject: (erielack) DL&W archives -- was Alco Farewell / Economy Changes

Very interesting, Walt.  I can't imagine what was lost, and so much more than
hat was elsewhere.
But we at Tri-State were given the opportunity by NJT to clean out the Hoboken
ecords building in 1985, and we did, removing truckloads of stuff that was
ostly the Chief Engineer's files.  We've paid tens of thousands of dollars over
0 years to store the stuff, and we were able to move it to Steamtown to become
 big part of its archives.  More than 100,000 rolled maps and nearly an acre of
ile space were part of it.  Some bits in the 1990s went to the ELHS which are
ow in its archival collection.
Still, all was not lost and the Cheif Engineer's files are now open to the
ublic thanks to a herculean effort from the Tri-State volunteers and Pat
cKnight's own team.  The volunteers are still sorting and cataloging, but so
uch new information has surfaced thanks to that collection.
                  ....Mike Del Veccho