Re: (erielack) Alco Farewell / Economy Changes

    Very concise, Tim....Thanks.  I'm just pissed that I didn't know about the
auction.

  I WAS lucky enuf to be giving an AMTRAK friend a tour of Hoboken when the
Company was throwing out all the stuff from the legal dept on the 2nd floor of
the Terminal. They'd cut a hole in the floor and put a dumptruck under it (in
one of the roads to the ferries) and would get an old wooden filing cabinet on a
dolly and 'CRASH' into the dumptruck. I sent my pal to get boxes and we filled
them and lugged them onto one of the AMTRAK trains in Newark. Man, it was a
circus....there was a fleamarket dealer and a EL conductor taking stuff from the
drawers trying to beat the laborers. That's where those 1918 track blueprints of
the ERIE came from that I finally sold on the list after my wife threatend me
with torture if I didn't get them out of the front bedroom closet.

      I wish I'd had the brains to tell Bill to get a rental truck & then bribe
the laborers to load it up. Can u imagine what one of those oak 5-drawer filing
cabinets is worth now.....not to mention the contents. Well - at least the old
blueprints have found good homes. Think of what was lost, tho. The laborers were
taking it all to 'the Meadows' to be burned. Kind of like the remnants of Penn
Station.

Walt Smith