* Subject: Re: (erielack) ALCO plant farewell
    * From: "Paul Brezicki" <doctorpb__@__bellsouth.net>
    * Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:10:08 -0500

Acknowledging that this is off-topic: I've seen this hundreds of times.
Former industrial facilities demolished to make way for condos, retail, and
in this case, a marina. Granted, this factory has not been active for over
40 years, but this scenario begs the question: how long can we keep
replacing productive activity with consumptive ones? This project (assuming
it actually happens; the commercial real estate vacancy rate nationwide is
approximately 20% and growing, and upstate NY is not exactly a growth
region) will create some short-term construction jobs, but is not going to
produce an ounce of material that we can sell overseas and thus add to the
wealth of our nation. We'd rather get rid of those nasty-looking, polluting
factories and let the Chinese make the stuff to place under the Christmas
tree, so we can spend the afternoon shopping and then sip wine when we're
done. Maybe this has something to do with our trillion-dollar deficits,
state governments cutting back on police and fire services, and our
(official) 10% unemployment rate? Paraphrasing what you said Rick, we've
"matured" from an industrial economy to a "service" economy, and now a
"finance-based" economy, and where has this gotten us? And what's going to
happen when China, holding a huge chunk of our national debt, pulls the plug
if we dare to do more than, say, wag our finger at N Korea? Do you get the
feeling we've been sold a bill of goods and now we're left holding the bag?

Paul B