Re: (erielack) ALCO plant farewell

GE got the railroads business in some cases by being the financier as
well (GE Credit). Some rumors have been posted on the net that they
low-balled other money vendors 'to get the order'.

I've seen others say it was because GE could deliver large quanities of
'built the same' units on schedule with a bit lower teething issues when
new.

Once over 10 years old or so GE's rattle themselves to death and
sometime thereafter become new razor blades. Plenty of older ALCO's
still running, many more than old GE's!

Mike