From: "Edward T Montgomery" <ETMontgomery_@_fcps.edu>
To: "EL Mail List" <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 8:44:24 AM
Subject: RE: (erielack) ALCO plant farewell

There were a lot of things that probably contributed to not reusing this plant for heavy industry manufacturing. I'm wondering how up to date the facility was when ALCO finally shut the doors. Were they operating on a shoestring at the time. I've read a lot about Alco Products on this site and it appeared as though their quality control wasn't very good. GE just made a locomotive that was better than ALCO so it could compete with EMD. Montreal Locomotive Works continued with the ALCO design for some years beyond ALCO's closing but I don't believe they ever tried to compete in the US market.

Secondly, the tax rates imposed on businesses in New York State may have contributed to other locomotive manufacturers and remanufacturers to avoid what might have been an excellent site location.

It was sad to see how ALCO kept consolidating. My uncle told me of how Cooke was still making engines in Paterson in the 1920s. Alco acquired them, Rogers, Richmond, and others and centered the manufacturing in New York. Here's an off topic question: when did the name American Locomotive Company come into Being? ALCO must have been one of the earliest acronyms around.

Ed Montgomery