(erielack) re #3681, Port Jervis - Maybrook yards; Reefer Routings

To List;I also frequented PO's yard, and recall when there werev actually THREE sub-yards there.

The A and B yards were on the North side, looking west from the road overpass, and the C yard was opposte.

In the C, near the Horan Lumber dealer, there was a small Iceing Platform for Reefers. I measured it up, and made a

HO model of it, using a wooden yard-stick as the base, which was on the Asbury Park club's layout for years.

It had no ice-house, when I saw it, but did have an elevator, for hoisting blocks/crushed ice, and salt? from possibly local truck deliveries; it appeared to be only about 150 feet long, but was derelict, and  gone soon later.

Since Maybrook had a much larger icing plant, and Jersey City probably had one, also.....

What was its' purpose?

As I have said before, regarding the post about empty reefer routings, I knew a young man in Florida, in the 90's, who recalled loading Flowers into empty reefers, bound for hotels in NYCity, from Coddington's in Murray Hill, at the Summit yards' Team tracks, but he died soon after I met him.

73's, Charlie Gerow