Re:Re:(erielack) December calendar picture

OK, so I should have read the caption first! One 4-4-0, one 4-6-0, and three 4-6-2s got wings, as we discussed a while ago in thre ELHS DIAMOND's Information Station.  No 2-6-0.

The question then was, as it is still -- are there any color photographs of any of these?  Apparently, there were different color schemes.  Our only clue so far has been a painting used for the cover of a pre-WWII Railroad Magazine showing a bright green and red and aluminum scheme on a Pacific of the 1100 class.  Even a written description would help.

They seem to have been de-winged during WWII so the aluminum could go to the war effort.  A ninety-year-old Lackawanna veteran (or railfan) might remember.

Randy Brown
No moguls got the "wings" treatment.  Only one or two or three each in 4-4-0, 4-6-0, and 4-6-2 wheel arrangements, with the "or" being the operative word.

Randy Brown

In the home stretch! The last mont of the year...

The ELHS/ELDCPS calendar features a very "classy" black-and-white image of Lackawanna 4-6-0 #1011 . . . This locomotive is (I believe) the only 4-6-0 to get the "wings" streamlining, and it looks very new and shiny in this image. IMHO, the extra drivers beneath the wing really helped "balance" out the wing, much moreso than the 4-4-0s that had this streamlining. Too bad no more Moguls got this treatment, and too bad it was so short-lived! :(