RE: (erielack) New Athearn Genesis TOFC (HO scale)

> Looks like an opening, Steve. Athearn got it right for the most part.
> "Visually distinctive from other long flatcars of their era
> thanks to their C-channel side frames..." Um, except for the
> F85A, F85C, F85F and F89G C-channel cars. The C-channel was
> the predominant TOFC sideframe of the era for both BSC and
> ACF; P-S used the S-sideframe.

They probably should have clarified with "other >>>89'<<< long flatcars of their era; C-channel cars of shorter lengths were pretty common. (think of the Erie and EL 75' cars)

> "...built throughout the 1960's." Actual build dates were
> from 1963, when the 89' deck superseded the 85', to 1967,
> after which all the builders went to the flush-deck for TOFC/COFC.

I think "built throughout the 1960's" is a little less of a mouthful. ;)

> I'm glad to see this will be a Genesis car. The announcement
> is unusual in that that it includes only a B&W photo with
> prototype info and no prices or data on the actual models.
> I'm certainly looking forward to this model.

Here's the link to the model info (which Athearn seems to have forgotten with their news mailing)

http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/082410/02_GEN_F89F_082410.pdf