(erielack) Shohola, PA

Awhile back a question was asked about the track layout at Shohola, PA.When I got my own first auto, in 1962, I started exploring up there; I learned that after my fist visit, a freight

had derailed on the westward #1 track just east of the passenger platform, wiping out the shelter or station.

Prior to THAT, there had been a washout, which caused the replacement viaduct, east of the depot, to be

replaced with single track.

I never got a view of this, nor W Shohola, but did see the east end of the auto-interlocking at E Shohola.

Don't recall the old name of the lumber yard on the south side, west of the depot area, but later it was bought out by the one in Narrowsburg.

Across from the station-stop, there was a small group of structures which included a bar on the bottom, good hamburgers; the upper floor had a long porch along the front. It was still there in the '80's.

The lumber yard had a siding on its' south side which extended west a bit, with the lumber bldg between their

siding and the two mains.

E Shohola had a 2-head searchlight signal and a dwarf; I assume W Shohola was similar. The gorge in between

supposedly was not very wide, and quite deep, probably like a rock cut, but difficult to see, even in the winter.

Hope this helps,

73's