Re: (erielack) re #3338, diners

Are you sure it was only Phoebe you miss??? I rode the twilight many times in the 50's from Brick Church to Elmira, enjoyed the diner  - 5PM out of Brick Church and 11 PM in Elmira. Sometimes we had NKP coaches which were not as nice as the 300 series. But then you wanted to know about the Lake Cities and I rode that only a few times - heading to Elmira for Christmas - snowed in in Elmira and had to take a few days off to stay there and came back on the EL - Erie diner which was not as nice as the DL&W diners, wow could they sway!!!

Jim ELHS#197

- ----- Original Message ----
From: "harebridle_@_aol.com" <harebridle@aol.com>
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Wed, December 30, 2009 2:15:36 PM
Subject: (erielack) re #3338, diners

To Tim & List;
I only rode the PHOEBE SNOW a few times, but one time will never forget.
Had to have been around Spring of 1965.
My girl and I got going at O'dark-Hundred, and drove to Hoboken from Staten Island.
Took #21 up to Binghamton, snacked in the depot there, and boarded #6 for Hoboken.
Got 2 rear-most seats at the rear of the Budd Tavern-Lounge until the Diner opened for
early supper, probably before Scranton.
I don't recall what I ate, but it was certainly GOOD; She ordered the Brook Trout, and
when she finished it up, the water offered her free seconds.
then, thirds! as they had plenty, we were the last ones in the Diner, and they would
have had to discard the left-overs....
We got a large pot of coffee, and didn't go back to the T-L until leaving Denville.
Still have the menu! What a very nice trip!
Zikes, I miss her...... Phoebe, not the other O-A-O......
73's, Charlie Gerow