Re: (erielack) Fw: Scranton in 1900 & A Question

I saw a file dealing with this a while back in the Steamtown Archives.  Am
very busy today, and will see what I can dig up.  I also have a yard
diagram from about the same time of the 1900 photo.  Will see if I can post
it . . . maybe not this week (year), but maybe next.

Patrick McKnight
Historian/Archivist
Steamtown NHS
570-340-5193

We need history, not to tell us what happened or to explain the past, but
to make the past alive so that it can explain us and make a future
possible.-Alan Bloom

             njricky2_@_aol.com

             AM                        erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                                                                        cc

              "EL Mail List"           Re: (erielack) Fw: Scranton in 1900
             <erielack_@_lists.r         & A Question
                ailfan.net>

Another interesting note on this great photograph. Just beyond the old DL&W

station, you'll see the building that stood across Lackawanna Ave. That was

the Delaware & Hudson station, which is long gone.

The Diamond Branch (not visible in this photo) connected the two roads just

below and beyond the D&H station. The branch is currently used by
Delaware-Lackawanna to connect the Scranton Yard with the former D&H main,
now the
single-track "Carbondale Line". During it's heydays, the D&H main was the
place to train watch, particularly near the Greenridge Yard with 24/7
through
freights and locals coming into the yard from the Greenridge Branch and
upvalley.

Now for the question. Perhaps around the time of the photo (not sure),
there was much discussion of building a "union" station in Scranton. For
whatever reasons, a "union" station never came to be.

Around that time, Scranton was served by DL&W, D&H, Erie, CNJ, NYO&W and
L&WV. There were five stations as NYO&W terminated at the CNJ station. Of
the
five, the Erie station was the farthest away from downtown proper.

Does anyone have any information regarding the proposed construction of a
"union" station in Scranton?

Thanks for posting this great photo.

Rick