Re:RE: (erielack) Interline Switching

The BEDT, although heavily influenced by the Erie (see their herald), was a terminal railroad connecting with not only Erie but also DL&W, CRRNJ, B&O, NYC, PRR, LV and NYNH&H and probably needed to be included in the documentation to tell everyone which float to put it on.

MHM would need to appear individually, because "EL-CNJ" would entitle CNJ to get the car in Scranton or Jersey City and ths get a piece of te line-haul.

It's intersting to note that of the "dependent" railroads, the M&E has become a healthy and independent regional while the G&W is an international powerhouse -- literally, leasing power in, at least, Great Britain and Australia.

Randy Brown
Steve Twarogowski posted:

=
> Pat and List,
>
> While I can't speak to the specific arrangements these
> shortlines had with the EL, I have an EL document, Form
> ST-19, which is a "Daily Report of Cars Delivered or Unloaded
> to Dependent Shortline". I scanned and attached the front
> and back.  The back side lists those dependent shortlines,
> including the Hoboken Shore which came up when I scanned the
> interline waybills a couple weeks ago.  Others include your
> favorite, the B&H, along with the L&WV, M&E, Danville & Mt.
> Morris, Gennessee & Wyoming and some others.  Hope this helps
> or triggers something in someone else on the list who can
> provide you with more detail.

This is great, and is ample evidence of why these roads never appear on train consists as destination roads. Though interestingly, BEDT *does* appear on those consist sheets (even though it appears on this form)

Also note that "MHM" is the Mount Hope Mineral, but by this point the MHM was fully part of the CNJ (for many, many years) - and the MHM was not dependent on the EL, since it connected right to the CNJ. I can't imagine a car being destined for the "MHM" (unless that was a different road?)