Re: (erielack) Re: Moving

As a side note I made the move from Sidney, NE to Trinidad, Colorado in a 50 ft GN Sky Blue box car in May 1982. This went on until about the end of the 1980's.
Bob Stafford

- --- On Sun, 12/13/09, Jedalberg_@_aol.com <Jedalberg@aol.com> wrote:

From: Jedalberg_@_aol.com <Jedalberg@aol.com>
Subject: (erielack) Re: Moving
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net, erielack-digest@lists.railfan.net
Date: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 4:03 PM

Re: Moving.
Whether you get paid or not for moving usually is related to where  you
are in the pecking order, among other things---which might include such as
the "needs of the service".

Railroads were/are notorious for moving people on the shortest notice
possible: "....it's 3pm, I want you at Oak Island by 3d trick...". Not all
moves, but enough!   And often, often!!  From what I gather, the  PRR was the
worst, and a bit of that carried over into CR.
Most management moves, though, include covering the cost of the move
itself, a trip to the new location for house hunting, new drapes/curtains etc,
and in some cases, selling your house at the old location. In my first,
Marine  Corps career, your move was covered, but if you had been in a location
where you  had purchased a house, it was up to you to sell it, which could be
problematic.

My Grandfather, E.T.Dalberg, started on the DL&W at Oxford Furnace  right
after high school in '01. By '11 or so he was station master at Delaware
NJ,and was offered a position (or found it) in the RE&Tax Dept in Hoboken.  My
grandparents moved to Stanhope; the company sent him a telegram (which I
have) authorizing them to move their household goods by baggage car from
Delaware to Netcong.   No moving vans in those days, so you  likely hired a
drayman to move your stuff from the station. I don't know if  that meant in the
regular car on the train or a special move---likely the  former.
In those days people didn't have large amounts of things like we do today.
Even in the USMC in the late '50's, there was still gov't furniture
available--ugly, utilitarian, tough stuff--but worked  When you did buy  your own,
the old joke was three moves and you had a bonfire.

ETD retired from the DL&W in 1954 as the head tax agent.
Jim