Re: (erielack) Fire Damaged Cars

In a message dated 12/22/2009 12:02:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ETMontgomery_@_fcps.edu writes:

There  was a picture of the "Hospital Extra" in Trains in the mid-60s
showing a GP7  pulling a mix of passenger equipment including some MU power and
trailer cars  bound for Meadville - I believe.  However, the MU's were
restored to  service as far as I can tell.

If passenger equipment was towed to Meadville it almost always was doomed
to be scrapped.  Passenger equipment was not repaired at Meadville and even
though Meadville was the System M of W Shop, passenger cars being rebuilt
to M  of W bunk/camp/kitchen cars were usually converted at Susquehanna.

Cars arriving Meadville were stripped of usable air brake equipment at the
Air Brake Shop near Race Street, across from the depot.  Then they were
towed to the Reclamation Shop in the West Yard where any useful material  was
removed, such as wheels, couplers, AC units, etc., prior to being scrapped
at that location.

SMT