RE: (erielack) F5s or are they....

Mark is correct. And Paul, you are not.  The "F5" designation was an internal-to-EMD designation,
and wasn't intended to be used in public.  The thing that makes an F5 different than an F3 Phase 3,
and from an F7, is that the combination of prime mover and generator is different than either the
unit before or the unit after.  Don't hold me tightly to this being the absolute truth, but I
believe that F5s have the prime mover of an F7, but the generator of an F3.  (It could be the other
way  around, but I don't think so.)  The F5 had the same dynamic brake style as an F3.  That is
evident as two rectangular slots in the roof panel, lengthwise.

I built an ABBA model of ERIE 710, inspired by the builder's photo in ERIE POWER, and did quite a
bit of research on these units.  709 ABBA are also F5s.  Unfortunately, two things are wrong with
these models.  First, I used what was then the best F unit model available, the Athearn Blue Box F.
Second, while these models "looked fabulous" (not my words, other people's description) for three or
four years, one day I took them out of the box, and the yellow decals started coming off on my
hands.  There was some sort of interaction between the paint, the decals and the overspray.  I
believe it was the overspray, a coat of Krylon Clear Gloss.  I would NEVER use that again.

SGL

Database version: 6.13960