Re:RE: (erielack) Hoboken Shore/EL (was: Interline Switching

Interline revenue divisions were based on several factors, the most prominent of which was mileage.  Shortlines were often better off taking the flat switching charge rather than a smaller percentage of the line haul and having to contend with all the paperwork.  Besides, the line haul revenue could and did vary with the commodity, whereas the flat charge was simply money in the till.

Randy Brown
SMT wrote:

> Most likely Maxwell House was an EL customer and the HSRR
> performed switching service for the EL at that point and
> received a flat rate for  switching loaded railroad cars,
> much like the PRR did at the delivering  end.
>
> EL collected the revenue and kept it all, except for flat
> switching charges  to the HSRR at Hoboken and to the PRR at
> Youngstown.

So... how exactly does THAT work? The Maxwell House plant wasn't really near any EL trackage - it sat squarely in the middle of the HSRR "system" (such as that is). Isn't Maxwell House an HSRR customer? I think I know what you're saying, but what are the machinations involved in this?

I would have assumed that, as part of the route from Maxwell House to General Foods, the HSRR was the first link in that path and it would accordingly get a (very small) percentage of the line haul fee? Am I mistaken here?  And does this mean that pretty much every customer on the HSRR was an EL customer, with the HSRR only acting as a terminal switching railroad?