Re: (erielack) EL waybills

Pat

(from the other SMT)

I believe the waybills were a standard form, so to speak, with only the
company name and ID number (EL-240) being different from the other roads.
The waybill forms were standardized at some point to save the agent,
yardmaster,  conductor, etc from spending a lot of time reading them.  The
destination  is always on the left side.  Think of the confusion and delays if some
railroad had the destination and origin reversed.

Note that this is an EL waybill but the waybill states EX-ABB RR CO.   That
indicates that the shipper sent the billing directly to the EL agent at
Barberton but the car was handled from the customer by the A&BB in a
reciprocal switching agreement.  In this case, the A&BB is  not shown on the
routing, just on the notation.  So, the A&BB  received a flat rate (from the EL)
for pulling the load and bringing it to the  EL interchange, perhaps $60 to
$75 or so and the EL retained all of the  balance.

In some of these cases, the SWID railroad (A&BB) did not have to pay  car
hire, in this case to the B&O RR for the use of the car while it was on  the
A&BB.  It may have been paid by the EL for that period.  I  think there were
different arrangements at different locations and that is  something that I
was not involved in on the EL so others may be able to provide  more info.

SMT

In a message dated 12/14/2009 7:54:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,