(erielack) Meadville model train display

Just forwarding this along...

Exhibit offers view of local railroad history

By Lisa Byers (Meadville Tribune)

“I still remember the man who sold them to me,” Lee Greenfield said. “Old Mr. Wilson … flat top, white-haired guy at the Woolworth five and 10 store in Meadville.”
Greenfield’s memory was of the purchase of one of his first model trains more than 40 years ago and one of several being shared by visitors recently at the French Creek Valley Railroad Historical Society’s train exhibit at Hobby Headquarters in the Park Avenue Plaza.
The free display is a model of the Meadville railroad yard complex from 1945 to 1955 and features at least three running trains. The exhibit is open now through Dec. 19 during the Hobby Headquarters’ regular business hours which are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
“We hoped to create some interest,” said society member John Snyder of Meadville.
“And I think we’ve done that. It brings back memories of all kinds of different trains. People come in and just talk. And that’s what this is all about.”
Greenfield stopped by to take a look at the exhibit while his wife was out Christmas shopping and was able to offer Snyder a first-hand account of the railroad industry while admiring the display. Greenfield, a Greenville resident, retired as a railroad track inspector in 2001. He worked on such railroads as Erie Lackawanna Railway, Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad and New York & Lake Erie Railroad to name a few.
One of his biggest projects was helping to put the line from Titusville to Corry back together.
Greenfield also helped set up the Greenville Railroad Park Museum in 1985. His knowledge of trains is endless as are his memories, much to the delight of Snyder, who had the job of sitting by the exhibit last weekend.
“I’ve had more fun the last two days,” said Snyder. “I’ve learned an awful lot, especially from guys like (Greenfield), who have shared a lot of memories.”
French Creek Valley Railroad Historical Society generally sets up its display during the holiday season at the Downtown Mall. But this year, the mall did not have the space to provide to the society. So the society decided to contact the Park Avenue Plaza, which in turn went to Lorraine Armstrong, owner of Hobby Headquarters.
Hobby Headquarters, a contributor to the society, is set to go out of business on Dec. 19 and had some space to offer.
“It’s good for us and them,” said Armstrong. “It was a good place.”
In addition to the display, the society is raffling off a model train with proceeds from the raffle going to Toys for Tots. Literature, books and T-shirts are also available for purchase from the society.
The French Creek Valley Railroad Historical Society meets at U.S. Bronze & Machine Inc. at 18649 Brake Shoe Road, Meadville and currently has approximately 50 members. Those interested in becoming a member can download an application at fcvrrhs.org.