(erielack) Erie Signals (Approach Slow)

Thanks to Bill Burt and Gordon Davis for the very good and detailed explanations of what "Approach Slow" was used for on the Erie and EL.  So Approach Slow was used on the approach to a Clear Slow at an interlocking, i.e. going thru a tight switch onto a signaled diverging route where the next signal was at least Approach.  Interestingly, in the EL rule book there is no "yellow" analog to Clear Slow, i.e. proceed through interlocking at slow speed then prepare to stop at next signal.  There was a Medium Approach analog to Clear Medium, as previously discussed; but nothing similar for Clear Slow (I guess that would have been Slow Approach -- probably the missing Rule 288 !).

I wonder if an interlocking signal that would use Clear Slow for a diverging route would show Restricting if the next signal ahead on that route was Stop or Stop and Proceed.  Knowing the Erie, I'll bet that's what it was -- let 'em crawl, even if the next signal is a mile away and the machinery knows there's nothing on the block itself.  Interestingly, I don't see a Clear Slow (or Slow Approach) in the DLW rule book.

Thanks again, this has been an interesting thread.  Just shows that even us old-timers who were around in the EL or pre-merger days are never too old to learn!
 JIM GEROFSKY