Re: (erielack) Operations on the 1st Subdivision.

Brad,

I grew up in Warren, OH. and was often near the First District  as my
grandmother lived across from the Erie depot in Warren.

There was a fruit and vegetable vendor in Warren called  Shipley's. I used
to see PFE reefers on the house tracks of the EL freight  depot. I'm
assuming that at least some of that fruit went to Shipley's as it was  only about
300 or so ft. away. There was also an interchange track that ran into  the
freight house area from the PC (PRR) PY&A Secondary.

Most of the industry in Warren was located on the Second  District.

The EL also handled hot metal bottles in and out of Republic  Steel in
Warren and RSCX blast furnaces at Hazelton on the Canal Branch.

At one time there were also a couple of coal retailers nearby  but, they
were gone by 1972.

I think there was an interchange with the B&O at  DeForest.

Passenger trains  #28 & #29 were still running  then.

If you modeled in the 1950's you'd probably have more on line  customers.

I'm sure Steve Timko would have more information than I can  give you.

Hope this little bit helps.

Rick Fleischer
Cortland, OH.

In a message dated 12/5/2009 9:50:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,