(erielack) Erie Signals

Pat Moore wrote:

> Hmmm...I thought that the Erie semaphores on "the swale" were
approach-lit.

> I distinctly remember sitting by the window of my  grandmother's house in
Addison
> at night and seeing the westbound semaphore come to life with a  green
light.  If we > were waiting for a train, this was usually the  first
indication that a westbound was
> imminent as the sound of the westbound freights didn't echo as  well.

> Anyway, after the power passed the signal, it would  drop and remain lit
red for
> awhile.  Once the train was out of the block to the rear of the  signal
(I presume), the > arm would lift to 45 degrees and the lamp would  stay lit
for one or two seconds and > then would go dark.  That is,  unless another
westbound was on its heels.  On
> occasion when an eastbound would run on the wrong main, the WB  semaphore
arm > would drop and the lamp would turn on before the train  arrived.

Pat is correct.  Now that the memory cells have been jogged a bit, I
recall observing approach-lit operation of semaphores in the Cameron area  in the
early 1980s, before the single tracking project.  I believe the  semaphores
that lined the Buffalo Division between Hornell and River Junction
functioned the same way.

I also recalled a Trains Magazine article about Santa Fe  signaling.  It is
"Santa Fe Sentinels," by B.C. Hellman, in the January  2003 issue.  This
article is a useful one for students of Erie signaling,  inasmuch as the ATSF
was another Union Switch & Signal operation and  its 1920s-1930s signal
installations were contemporaneous with the Erie's.   They involved what appear
to be identical equipment, Style L  vertically-arranged color light heads
and H-2 searchlights.   Like Erie, ATSF previously installed US&S semaphores
before it  converted to color light and searchlight signals.  As the  article
explains, ATSF continued installing the semaphore signal longer,  for
reasons having to do with lack of electric power in its territory.

Why would Erie semaphores have been approach lit (seemingly the  more
modern approach) while the color light and searchlight signals, which  came
later, were constantly lit?  Hellman suggests an answer.  The  Santa Fe insisted
that all signals continuously display an indication.   While he does not
suggest reasons why, it avoided uncertainty about whether  a dark signal was
burned out (usually requiring a stop), and it undoubtedly was  a great help to
track and signal forces, who relied on lineups in those  days.  A semaphore
provided a constant indication that could be  observed in daytime and at
night when illuminated by the headlight of an  approaching locomotive.  Its
approach-lit lamp was merely  supplemental, and the rules permitted proceeding
on the indication given by the  blade even where the light was burned out.
A color-light signal, on  the other hand, had to be lit constantly to
display a constant  indication.

The ATSF article does not show any of US&S's triangular-pattern color
light heads, which were also widely used by Erie.  Based on very limited
evidence--the fact that they were installed between CB Junction and Salamanca in
1926 while Style L color light signals were used between CBJ and Hornell in
1930  and in many other later Erie signal projects--I suspect that the
triangular-pattern color light heads fell out of favor for new purchases on the
Erie after the Style L became available, or perhaps were discontinued by
US&S.  The two types use the same lenses and innards, so the  differences
were superficial in any case.  (The 1920s US&S  triangular-pattern color light
signal head should not be confused  with General Railway Signal equipment
salvaged from former NYC lines  or new Safetran equipment, both of which were
installed on ex-EL lines by  Conrail.  Similar US&S equipment is being
installed by NS  today.  CP-ATTICA is an example.)

This as good a place as any to note that interlocking signals at three
sidings connected with the 1980s single tracking between Portage and Gang
Mills--Swains, Hornell, and Cameron--were set up as approach-lit.