(erielack) Staggered Heads, Update

Paul

Went out to eat with a bunch of Retired DL&W/EL guys today.  They  meet
once a month and when work permits, I join them.  I sat across from a  former
Disp. I  asked him about the off set signals, because I had  noticed Gordon's
post about any where, where there was a four or more aspect  block system
the two headed signal was used, and that it would always be  staggered.  If
you remember I had told you in a private post that  it was to indicate a
distant signal to an interlocking.  I couldn't  remember a section of track
where a four aspect system was used, but I never  rule out being corrected on
most things, and am never afraid  to ask additional questions.

So, What I was told is that the staggered head's intention was, as I had
stated to you, to indicate the distant signal to an  interlocking and that
probably 98% of the time it did just that.  What I was also told is that if
there was a section of track where a four aspect system was in effect, (
requiring a second head ) that all intermediate signals could and  probably
would be staggered, as Gordon had stated.   The  gentleman stated, the one
section he knew of, that was made four aspect  after the bad wreck at Newberg
Jct in the late 1950s, was the section  between Newberg Jct, NY and Suffern,
NY on track one only.

I'm sharing this with the list, just so everyone can share, and  as always
to thank Gordon, and Steve for the knowledge they apply  bring to the list.
It is an aspect of RRing which most railfans don't  really understand.  As a
young railfan MANY MANY years ago, I didn't  understand it either, nor was
I interested in it.  Then one day I had to,  and it took a long time. :)

We both concurred that around here the only two RRs that didn't use the
staggered heads were the Lackawanna, and the PRR.    The  Lackawanna, because
of it's double headed signals had the four aspect system  covered, but just
didn't entertain the off set system.

Bob Bahrs