Re: (erielack) Erie Signals

A generalization to all, is that signals and signal systems are like
studying track charts.   It all depends on a particular date and  location.  I've
looked at Lackawanna track diagrams over the years and  constantly found
new signals replacing old signals and usually not at the same  locations.
Every time a signal or signal system within a  designated  area got changed the
RR always was trying to up grade it, thus changes from  before could
constantly be found.   When you walk or ride along a  right of ways you constantly
find signal stanchions that don't conform to a  particular track chart, but
they did to some previous chart that is  now obsolete. With in those signal
moves, often aspects to be displayed got  changed too.

Bob Bahrs

In a message dated 12/2/2009 7:19:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Wdburt1_@_aol.com writes:

Gordon Davids wrote:

> In Erie practice, much of the  automatic block and TCS territory used
> four-indication  signaling, where the progression of indications on
these
>  intermediate signals was "Clear," (Green over Red); "Approach  Medium,"
> (Yellow over Green); "Approach," (Yellow over Red); and "Stop   and
> Proceed," (Red over Red).  "Approach Medium" had a  dual  purpose.  It
> could govern the approach to any signal  indicating  "Approach" or to an
> interlocking home signal  indicating "Clear Medium"  or "Medium Approach."

Necessarily, this  means that "much of the automatic block and TCS
territory" had  two-headed signals.

Plainly not true.  Perhaps the  reference was to New Jersey suburban
territory?

Except for  certain higher-density territories, I believe the use  of
Approach  Medium on EL was restricted to governing the approach to an
interlocking
(Clear Medium or Medium Approach) and was not used to govern  the  approach
to an Approach signal.  I always wondered if the reason  for  two-headed
signals on the NYC in upstate NY and west was because  they had a  deluxe,
4-aspect system, or simply because they had so  many interlockings that
you were
never far from one.

The  previous contributions include mention of "double yellow."  On EL,
double yellow was sometimes used where the next block ahead was a short
block
(I  am using plain English here, not C&S-speak).   Today, this would be an
appropriate application of Advance Approach  (flashing yellow), but back
then
there was no such aspect.   Instead, the engineer saw two Approach signals
in a row.   Examples were the next to the last block signal leaving the old

main  line both near Hornell and Cuba.  Approaching CB Junction
westbound,
for instance, if signal 379-1 in East Cuba displayed Approach  it  probably
meant that you were getting an Approach at the distant  signal located  at
JC
382.6 (and that you were not lined at  CBJ).  But it might also mean  that
the
latter signal was  displaying Stop and Proceed.  A green light at  379-1
meant an  Approach Medium on the distant signal.  Same story  going east
west  of
Hornell.

Erie practice, indeed C&S practice generally, is  largely undocumented
outside the priesthood, so this discussion  is  welcome.

The Erie Lackawanna Mailing  List