(erielack) RE: Anyone Know...> Copper Mine

Here's a link to the "Annual Report of the (NJ) State Geologist for the year
1906" on Google books with a map and details of the Schuler Mine. Search to
page 140:

http://www.google.com/books?id=Nw68AAAAIAAJ&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

(watch the wrap...)

There's mention of the NY&GL Rwy...

dmg

Michael DeCarlo wrote:

Now that we are speaking of the cut east of WR...
The last issue of Weird NJ magazine shows pictures of what is thought to be
copper mine entrances along both sides of the RR in this cut. They are right
in the area where the big water pipe crosses overhead near Kearny.

 These mines are directly across from each other and I'm wondering if they
predate the RR and are 1 single mine tunnel that was broken through when the
cut was built. I know the Schuyler Copper Mines in N Arlington date from the
1700's and I'm wondering if these mines along the Greenwood Lake are related
to them. Has anyone ever noticed these? What did they look like back in
Erie\EL days?

If this link works, it will take you to an aerial view. Watch for the link
to wrap to a second line:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qsw3v38tn11v&style=
b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=275451&encType=1

Thanks,
Mike D.

> > Michael,
> >
> > This is an Eastbound train at West Arlington, NJ (WR) drawbridge on
> > the Greenwood Lake/Boonton Line.
> >
> > Rich Pennisi

<WR Draw was in a "bowl" of sorts - heading west, you climbed up to North
Newark. Heading east, you climbed up to Arlington. However, that eastbound
run went through a huge cut that the original NY&GL built. The cut is around
100 feet deep, and pretty massive for a relatively small double-track
railroad. Today, that cut is filled with junk that people toss down from
above. It's sad to see in less than a decade how a fairly busy railroad has
gone to a junkyard. :(

	- Paul>>

End of EL Mail List Digest V3 #3309