Re: (erielack) Wean United Mfg

Thank you SMT & Rick, this helps quite abit. I've come to the North Warren section of my model track plan, and as I work on it I start to wonder what these companies did so I can have a train of thought working on their inbound and outbounds. I'm trying to keep in mind how the RR is going to operate as I design things.

<grin> you guys get a Gold Star!
  Wean Engineering had an impressive plant at North River Road.  The  plant
  had three rail spurs going into it, one facing point eastbound and two
  trailing point eastbound.  The middle one, Gate 2 was not used too  often.  Wean
  was switched by the Leavittsburg Yard Crews that went to North  Warren
  several times a day.  Wean itself usually got two switches per day;  one on first
  trick and one late on second trick.

  Wean also had a very impressive multi-floor corporate headquarters building
   on North Park Avenue, about a block north of courthouse square.  The
  building still stands but is used for other purposes.

  During the 1950's and 1960's yet, Warren still hosted an abundance of
  locally owned industries that were worldwide operations.  Nearly all of  them
  were controlled by the founding fathers and the families were prominent  local
  residents.  Most of these companies were rail served, many by the  Erie/EL,
  including, Taylor-Winfield Co. (welding machines), Hasley W. Taylor Co.
  (drinking fountains), Denman Tire Co. (tires and steel roll covering), Wean
  Engineering, (steel mill machinery) Van Huffel Tube Co.(tubing), Grinnell
  Co.(tubing and steel forms), Warren Metal Decorating Co.(decorated shipping
  containers such as oil cans), the Heltzel Steel Form and Iron Co.(batch
  plants, previously made railroad coaling towers), and many others.

  Unfortunately, Warren has become a very depressed area like many cities in
  the Rust Belt.

  SMT