Re: OT Outlook Mail for Schuyler and Others Re: (erielack) Erie Map

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Jim Guthrie wrote:

8<---
> Other than the toys like aol, the worst is gmail. It is so attractive and
> easy-to-use and offers lots of great features, but from time to time and at
> random, users find their entire mail collection disappears without a trace.
> Most don't bother to back up to their local machine, either, so everything
> is lost. nd tech support is worth the price one pays (unless you go to their
> $50/month support plan -- but even they are hard to reach and not helpful
> when you lose all).

Jim and list,

I use a GMail account as an off-network and troubleshooting email address for
over four years and I have never had any messages disappear. I'm using 400 MB
of their storage space to boot. Of course I do back it up, even though nothing
stored there is of any significant value to me.

It has always been my firm belief that everyone should backup their own data
unless they are paying someone else to do it. Even then I would still back it
up myself occasionally.

I have been very happy with gmail and have recommended it to quite a few
people without receiving any complaints back from them.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services