RE: (erielack) (OT) San Francisco?

Paul, if you are heading there for two weeks, that implies that you will be there for a weekend.
You MUST go to Sacramento and see the California State Railroad Museum.  It is very definitely worth
the hour+ car ride, and you CAN take the train there, with multiple train times.

Watching the commuter trains leave the station in San Francisco is a good show.  Jack London Square
in Oakland is a neat experience, and JLS is much nicer (and safer) than when I lived there - yuppies
fixed that.  If you can find it, there is a rail museum up near Suisun Bay, north of Oakland,
Berkeley, and Albany.  There is also a mostly-traction museum in Rio Vista, in the general direction
of the wine country.

Franciscan Hobbies is in the Sunset District (or at least that's what my memory says) and (presuming
it's still there) has been there forEVER, and it is interesting to simply look at the dust-covered
stock on the shelves. They were pretty friendly when I lived there.  That WAS 35 years ago I lived
there, but I know it was there a few years ago.

The other Paul suggested Tehachapi, and so would I, but be warned that is a HIKE to go there.  I'd
suggest waiting until you have a two week trip to LA (and then get hold of Tim Costello for
nearly-native guidance - there are lots of back roads you have to have been there many times to know
about).  But Paul No. 2 is right: it is a must have experience for the railfan.

[This moves me to wonder if anybody's made one of those "100 places . . .  before you die" lists for
railfans?]

I've sent an email to a friend who lives in Sacto but knows the Bay Area well.  I'll send what he
suggests along later.

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm traveling to San Francisco for two weeks on business starting next
> week - does anyone have any suggestions for railfanning, or possibly
> visiting layouts out there?
>
> Please reply off-list to me at paultup_@_comcast.net - thanks!
>
> 	- Paul

Database version: 6.12160