Re: (erielack) Western PA - Brockway Coal

Paul -

I can't say yes or no, but it would make sense that they would use the unit train rate whenever possible.  The Shawmut had a tariff that allowed two mines to each load half of a unit train, but the halves would be combined at or before they reached Brockway.

Gordon

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 05:40:49 -0400
From: "Paul Brezicki" <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: (erielack) Western PA - Brockway Coal

Thanks, Gordon. Did some of the MetEd coal go in less than unit train lots?

Paul B

From: Gordon Davids <g.davids_@_verizon.net>

Paul -

All of the Met Ed coal to Erie/EL at Brockway came from the Pittsburg and
Shawmut.  When I was VP on the P&S in 1972-75, we sent about two unit trains
per week to the EL at Brockway, and I think about half of that coal went to
Met Ed.

The B&O (BR&P) didn't interchange Erie coal at Brockway.  The interchange
would have been awkward with the track arrangement there.  EL had to run on
a piece of Penn Central (Ridgeway Secondary Track) to reach the P&S yard and
their own Toby Branch to Brockport.

The P&S/B&O interchange was just south along the P&S at Dellwood, a separate
yard.

Gordon Davids