(erielack) (OT?) Detroit

At 05:33 08-04-2009, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 22:41:38 -0400
>From: "Joseph A. Braun" <joebraun_@_optonline.net>
>Subject: (erielack) Detroit's Michigan Central Station
>
>I shared some photos and posted a link a while ago to even more shots taken
>during my son's and my exploration of this wonderful - albeit deteriorated -
>monument. The relevancy to this List was that the MCS was the terminus for
>the Hoboken-Detroit sleeper. Now comes news that Detroit wants to use
>stimulus money to demolish this architectural and historical gem. Do we live
>in crazy world or what??? Joe Braun
>
>http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19120317/detail.html

I understand what you are saying Joe.  It's always sad when a
historical building is (a) ignored and then (b) sought to be torn
down.  Buffalo is home and while yeoman efforts to save Central
Terminal have had some success, it's still a long ways off from be
used for anything but the odd show.  Numerous downtown Buffalo
buildings - notably the Statler Hilton Hotel - have had numerous
proposals over the years for rejuvenation.  I'm still waiting.

Given the vacant fields all over Detroit, the "odd" location of the
MC station, its proximity to possibly new facilities for a 2nd bridge
border crossing, I'm not surprised.  From your photos, the station
was too far gone for any hope of restoration absent a homegrown
cheering squad.

Dale Madison