RE: (erielack) Western PA

Brad Butcher asked:

> This subdivision is refered to as "saw toothed" in several
> places that I have read. Now I was looking at the track
> charts for the subdivision on the CD I purchased from the
> society. But I didn't see much worse then a 1% grade and it
> seems relatively short grades as well. Granted I am no expert
> at reading the track maintence charts so maybe I am not
> properly understanding it. But I am wonder how I may give
> some resemblence to this topography. At this moment I'm
> thinking of doing an around the basement spiraling up multi
> deck layout similart to Tony Koestner's NKP with penisulas to
> give it a longer run up the grade to the next level. But his
> has a steady 1% or less grade most of the way up and this
> would not properly represent. So I thought I would seek the
> wisdom of the forum members here for advice.

If you have enough room for a long enough mainline, I say "go for it."
It would be useful to do a rough sketch in CAD so you can see exactly
what type of gradient you'll have. But remember: A 1% grade on an HO
scale model isn't nearly as severe as a similar one on the prototype,
since equipment weights don't really scale down proportionally.
Operationally speaking, it shouldn't be a problem. (1% grade is a change
of 1 inch over roughly the length of a 4x8 piece of plywood)

Your other concern is how much space between decks are you willing to go
with. If you're willing to go with a smaller space, then you can reduce
your grade and/or mainline run between levels.

	- Paul, whose layout will have a constant 1% climb... and it's
not even double deck :)