From: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) [mailto:paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 1:46 PM
To: EL Mail List
Subject: (erielack) April calendar photos

Hi folks,

Turning the calendars for April....

The ELHS calendar features a rather moody shot of Erie R2 #4222 at
Carbondale, PA, with a pall of smoke and haze all around the engine. The
bare earth and dark, soot-stained brick building speak of another time,
when industry (and coal mining) was king.  Surprisingly, the steamer is
relatively clean. The fireman looking back is a nice touch.

The Weekend Chief calendar features a giant 12-car MU train at Harrison,
NJ (mistakenly called "Newark, NJ" in the caption)  The roof of the
Harrison station peeks out over the second car, and the Stickle Bridge
appears to its right. What's neat about this nicely-lit shot is that it
shows the slight grade up to the Passaic River Bridge (look toward the
rear of the train). The nicest part of this shot is the shiny-clean
subscription Parlor Car right at the front. Ahh, to ride on one of those
again!

As an aside, the Passaic River bridge was a real bottleneck - it was
only two tracks, and on both side, the three tracks had to funnel down
to match (note the foreground track merges into the center track here)