(erielack) ELHS Eastern Region Spring Meeting, a brief report

Hi folks,

I'm a little tardy due to sickness (will I ever escape viral colds?!? :(

The ELHS Eastern Region Spring Meeting was once again held at the
Parsippany, NJ Holiday Inn. Here's a brief recap of was presented:

* The presentations started off with lister Bob Bahrs giving a presentation
of Conrail and Conrail Shared Assets operations on the former EL. One of the
shocking sets of slides he took was the new NS yard being built on the
former Croxton engine facility (the same one we explored on our "List
Discovery Day" almost 15 years ago). Bob also dug deep and found some
additional EL shots he took to round out the presentation, including wild 6
RS3 lashups on trains!

* Next up was Jay Held with a WAY detailed presentation on EL marine
operations, and an overview of the Weehawken port operations. One thing that
I *really* liked this year was that most of the presentations were highly
interactive, with many subject matter experts in the audience offering
comments and additional information. I hope further events continue with
this "open floor" type of paradigm, since I think the members really got a
lot out of this!

* After Jay, the VERY animated Bill Schaumburg (Editor of Railroad Model
Craftsman) gave a great presentation on the Pennsylvania slate industry
(which was served by the DL&W, among other roads in the area). Bill's
presentation had some great views of slate quarrying (not for the faint of
heart, or those afraid of heights!), and his "chocolate toss-outs" was a
humorous treat. By the way, I appreciated Bill's choice of libations to
accompany his presentation. :)

* And then this writer followed up with a presentation on the evolution of
EL diesel paint schemes. Once again, the "interactive audience" style really
worked well here. Of course, this writer had too much stuff to cram into the
alloted time (those who know me know that I can talk fast, but not fast
enough here obviously!), so the presentation was quickly finished after the
dinner break.

* Rich Copeland then gave an overview of the happenings at URHS' restoration
yard at Boonton, NJ - a former DL&W/EL yard. A lot of stuff has been going
on there, and it's worth a visit at their upcoming open house (alas, I don't
have the date)

* Wrapping up the evening was yet another compelling presentation of
historic imagery from Jack Emerick, giving his "Lackawanna Right-of-Way"
show. Many of the images dated from the early 20th century, showing
dramatically how the railroad changed over time. The thunderstorm that was
underway during Jack's presentation elicited some laughs, as Jack called the
DL&W "God's Railroad", and wags quipped that the thunderstorm was "God's
approval" of Jack's presentation. :)

All-in-all, another great meeting. It was great to see so many listers
there!