(erielack) Railfest!

Had a wonderful time at the Lackawanna Railfest today.  Things got started
last night with the NRHS chapter's 35th banquet, the two guest speakers
were Carl Belke (hopefully spelled his name correct) and Bernie O'Brien.
Mr. Belke, former D&H employee and later president, now a WNYP official,
gave a brief overview of his carrier, specifically the transition of the
D&H from the Guilford era.  Also talked about modern trends in
railroading, he shared an incredible figure for the projected amount of
the growth of railroad traffic in the coming years, sorry I don't
remember.  Bernie shared recollections of his service on the D&H, had the
audience roaring with laughter many times.  Door prizes at the end
included some small boxed gifts from the CPR and two rides on the Amtrak
special deadhead to Binghamton, of which I was a winner!  Can't wait to
ride along the Lackawanna north of Scranton Monday.

This morning got off to a little slow start with positioning equipment for
display.  Some wild and unique moves for this included a GP9 moving a
single well car with doublestack containers, which was later positioned by
a steam engine the Amtrak Genesis engine passing the Big Boy on the way
and back from being turned, etc etc.  Enjoyed touring the three superliner
cars, the NYC 20th Century car, and the L&N heavyweight obs.  Crowd seemed
to be a happy mixed contingent, and not just significant others in tow.
Displays at the roundhouse included D&H 7312, an NS GE widecab, and a
brand new CSX GE!  NS exhibit car in attendance but I didn't get a chance
to check it out.  The ELDPCS was in attendance with the City of Lima,
finally saw the car, bought some Lackawanna Krusty Korn Kob tray and mix
and joined.

All in all a wonderful event, certainly some things to learn from for a
better time next time.  If you can make it tomorrow, its worth it!  I'll
try and share some photos next week.

Thank you Steamtown, the D-L, CPR/D&H, NS, CSX, and the local rail authority.

Joshua