(erielack) Fwd: Re: Last Milk Traffic to Boston

So, it seems that the milk traffic was not "long gone" in June, 1970

Randy Brown
- --- In BM_RR_@_yahoogroups.com, "Tom E. Thompson" <coltomethompson@...>
wrote:

Per the B&MRRHS Bulletin Vol. VII, Number 3 (Spring 1978), Robert F.
Cowan's "The Milk Trains (Conclusion)," On August 31, 1970, H.P. Hood
canceled their lease contracts with General American Pfaudler on 11
cars: GPEX 984, 1008, 1011, 1013-1015, 1017, 1019, and 1025-1027.
Given a June 1970 photo at Ayer, MA, it could have been milk from
Eagle Bridge, NY.

Tom E. Thompson

- --- In BM_RR_@_yahoogroups.com, "John Hutchins" <hutchfye@> wrote:

> Sounds like there are 2 possibilities given the Ayer location.
> Either they were the last of the Hood milk shipments from
> Eagle Bridge or they were the orange juice cars since the Eagle
> Bridge traffic ended ca. 1970 if not the late 60's. I'm assuming
> the OJ traffic was moving via the so-called "Alphabet" route at
> that point.
>
> There are people far more knowledgeable than I in milk matters
> on the Milktrains list so I'm cross-posting this to them. One
> of them is likely to know the exact date Eagle Bridge stopped
> shipping.
>
> JCH
>
> John Hutchins, P.O. Box 595, Littleton, MA 01460-0595

B&M train in Ayer (I think) with 2 EL GP35s.  The first head car is a
Pfaudler milk car; the picture was labelled as 6/70. Was it milk? Or
had milk dried up by then?  When?

> I know that Hood was using three(?) of the cars for citrus traffic
from Florida to Boston in 1970, but we want to nail the milk
possibility or impossibility.