(erielack) puzzled by Lambert's Erie Dunmore caboose

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-08-24-08

DSC_1553EM.jpg (application/octet-stream, 3872x548 590870 bytes, BF: 3.59 ppb)

[From: Rik Paauwe: My latest purchase, an HO Erie Dunmore caboose by Lambert
just arrived and I am a bit puzzled by its height... it looks higher than
any rolling stock I own.  Rik]

Rik, I just happen to currently be on a paint-all-Erie-cabooses roll and
have some Overland Dunmores sitting out, so I was able to easily create a
"one picture is worth..." moment. Re window placement, you can see what
Schuyler is talking about in his posting. I did not know of the Lambert
window flaw until I recently took these two (unpainted) Lambert cabooses out
for the first time in decades. Frankly, I don't know what I am going to do
with them. They ride >>exceedingly<< high and the only cure I can eyeball is
to replace the trucks or radically rework them structurally with
resoldering. It is possible that the entire center sill rests too low. But
that does not cure the highly problematic windows, whose external "awnings"
are also oversize for the Dunmores.

Joe Braun