Re:RE: (erielack) More EL in Massachusetts!

Insulated tanks were used for chemical and other products after the milk business dried up.  Borden transferred several of their "butter dish" cars to Borden Chemical reporting marks.

IIRC, even some of the National Fitch slide-off tanks ended up carrying orange juice.

Randy Brown
> > 2569_Ayer_MA-7-70_-_George_Bishop.jpg (image/jpeg, 850x543
> > 105801 bytes, BF:
> > 4.36 ppb)
> >

> > And it looks to me as if there is a General American Pfaudler
> > milk car head out, just behind the second unit. Does anyone
> > else concur, and care to postulate why? I can't imagine there
> > was still a lot of milk traffic, but on the B&M, well, I am
> > not sure...
>

> Great catch!
>
> No clue why it would be here - was there any milk traffic in New England
> by 1970?
>
>     - Paul

No need to assume that just because it's a milk car, it's got milk in it, or is going back west to be filled with milk.  Those cars were used for years for B&M company business.  I think there are a few STILL in use limited to Springfield Terminal rails.

SGL