(erielack) Train orders in signalled territory

Hi folks,

Since my layout will be entirely signalled, there will be little need
for train order operations (and the dispatcher will be the one paying
attention to the timetables). But as I understand it, there needs to be
a train order given to get the train out on the road, at a minimum.

Let's say a crew boards their train at Scranton and heads towards
Croxton. What would be the train order that the dispatcher would give
them? Rights to be on the main Scranton-Croxton, obeying lineside
signals? Or would they get a clearance form, giving them clearance
Scranton-Croxton?

Under what other "normal" operating circumstances would an order need to
be given over a signalled line? (i.e. not running against the direction
or traffic or watching out for derailments would be "non-normal"
circumstances)

I usually am not a fan of train orders (they take while to write out),
and like the automation aspect of signalling, but I do want to be
operationally correct when it comes to regards to train orders, so any
suggestions/info would be appreciated.

Thanks,